If fear and I were a couple, our Facebook relationship status would be “It’s complicated.”
There have been times in my life where I have been daring and fearless, ready to take on the unknown. During those times, I didn’t even consider failure was an option. Other times I’ve cuddled myself in the fetal position and listed all of the reasons I shouldn’t do something. That is the most fucked up feeling because it’s restricting and limiting.
One area of my life where I’m scared shitless is my writing. At some point I became very insecure about my words and the order in which I placed them. Also the topics, which remain mostly the same: completely random. I still have no idea what i’m too fancy means or what it is about.
But what I do know is when and why this fear nonsense happened. The truth is that I just got stuck in my own head. Nobody but me stopped me from writing. Admitting this makes me want to kick myself in the vagine because accepting responsibility for my own actions is painful. I rather blame someone else, you know? You know.
But that is the past! And we are now in the present. And I have no fear of failure! Just kidding. I’m totally scared of failure but it won’t stop be from trying. Usually.
This is where quotes come in. I love quotes because they are shorter than a book. I figure if I read enough quotes it’s kind of like I read a self-help book. Right? Right.
If you’re the same, enjoy these short sentences and I hope they inspire you and give you the feels necessary to not be a scaredy cat. Follow your dreams, people! You’ll be dead soon anyway.
- “Success is often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.” – Coco Chanel
- “Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.” – George Edward Woodberry
- “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
- “Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.” – Steve Jobs
- “He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.” ― Napoléon Bonaparte
- “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
- “It’s failure that gives you the proper perspective on success.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong
- “We are all failures – at least the best of us are.” – J.M. Barrie
- “What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” – John Green
- “I failed my way to success” – Thomas Edison
- “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt” – William Shakespeare
- “Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success.” – Napoleon Hill
- “The greatest men sometimes overshoot themselves, but then their very mistakes are so many lessons of instruction.” -Tom Browne
- “Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.” – Soichiro Honda
- “I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy.” – Tony Robbins
- “If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.” – Zig Ziglar
- “If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative.” – Woody Allen
- “There is no impossibility to him who stands prepared to conquer every hazard. The fearful are the failing.” Sarah J. Hale
- “Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.” – Frederick Smith
- “If you are not big enough to lose, you are not big enough to win.” – Walter Reuther
- “I’m intimidated by the fear of being average.” – Taylor Swift
- “Don’t be afraid to fail. Don’t waste energy tryingto cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It’s OK to fail. If you’re not failing, you’re not growing.” – H. Stanley Judd
- “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up” – Thomas Edision
- “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato
- “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” – H. P. Lovecraft
- “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.” – Mark Twain
Now go do that thing you were scared to do.
If you fail, it’s only your first lesson. You have WAY more to go.
Good luck and cheers to getting unstuck from the prison that is your mind.